Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Trying a New Wrting Style

Everything I have always written I have always started with my main characters in mind and a setting and a loose plot.  Then I would sit down and write the story from start to finish.  Needless to say, when I got to the end I would have major re-writing to do.

I would find my characters were flat (something I am learning to correct- but that is a post for another day), or my plot had gaping holes or was unbelievable, and I would start all over again with the same process.   That is how I now have at least five versions (each one better than the next) of Quest of the Hart.

So, as I was finishing Quest of the Hart I was reading Lisa Shearin's blog about how she writes.  She mentioned using a detailed plot summary for her books.  Hmmm.  I had heard of plot summaries before, but had never considered writing from one.  Until now.

I knew who the characters I wanted to write about in The Lost Princess (working title) were and had thought out a decent plot (I have to tell myself stories at night so I can fall asleep, so I often use this time to plot and figure out characters, etc.)  With all this in mind, I sat down and wrote out (yes, with pen and paper) a plot summary-- complete with some comments I wanted my characters to make.  I could see the scenes as they unfolded and wanted to give myself enough to remind me when I came back to it after finishing up my edits from Katie (my wonderful critique partner!)

Now as I am starting TLP, I have my notes to guide me as I send my characters on their quest.  So far, I am finding the plot summary very useful.

What I Read this Week:
Last week I downloaded the Nook application for my netbook so I could quickly get (and start reading) a book on writing that had been suggested to me.  Can I tell you how much I love this app???  Barnes and Noble has some books in their free library that I have downloaded and been making my way through.  (Yes, I know I read a bunch of romance books, but I do like a good romance every now and then :) )

Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King  This was recommended by a friend at WD to help me with my query letter.  There is a lot of great information in this book.

Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by BJ Daniels  I was looking forward to this read, having read BJ's work before, but this one disappointed me.  Still, I finished it and found it an enjoyable read.

Slow Hands by Leslie Kelly  Very well written and lots of humor (and heat!)

Baby Bonanza by Maureen Child  Fun read- touching and exciting at the same time.

Kiss Me Deadly by Michele Hauf  Excellent book-- I really enjoyed her twist on witches and vampires

Speed Dating by Nancy Warren  This was a fun read based in the NASCAR world.  I found it quite funny at times and filled with some interesting racing information.

Upcoming Posts:
-Writing one chapter at a time
-Writing distractions/procrastination

1 comment:

  1. I always work with a chapter outline written in a spiral notebook. I add and cross out as I write my first draft. I find it absolutely necessary to use an outline as a guide. I also do a timeline so I can keep track of which events happen when.

    Glad it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.