Thursday, December 2, 2010

Writing the weather

Yesterday started with rain.  Not just any rain, mind you.  When I opened the door to take my son up to the bus stop, it began to pour.  And the umbrella was in the SUV.  (I knew I shouldn't have put so much effort into my hair.)

I got to work and the rain and wind picked up.  The mailman came in with our mail and his pant legs were plastered to him.

What does this have to do with writing? Well, the scene I was planning on writing over my lunch break began with my MC looking at a rain smeared window at the foul weather.  To me it was rather ironic that I was looking out a window on a scene much like I wanted to describe in my writing.

Have you had this happen to you?  Do you look outside and describe what you see through your characters eyes?  Does it help?  Do you look at pictures, search out maps, create maps? Share your tips below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.